COVID-19 Best Practices
Gus Macker Tournaments will follow state and local health department COVID guidelines for holding safe, outdoor events.
- The onsite Player Registration process will be streamlined, allowing for a social distanced experience. The check-in system will be divided into separate Youth and Adult areas. Players can electronically sign their waivers online, before arriving at the tournaments, when they register at macker.com.
- Player and Spectator space around the basketball court will be marked for best social distancing practices.
- Tournaments may limit the number of teams allowed to play based on current COVID regulations.
- Macker will provide hand sanitizing stations and PPE supplies near each court.
- Gus Macker will provide full refunds to all teams registered for a tournament that is cancelled due to COVID issues.
Grand Rapids Macker Welcomes Basketball Lovers Home
In cooperation with the Grand Rapids Drive and Kenowa Hills Public Schools, we are excited to once again bring Gus Macker to Grand Rapids. Get your team registered today and join us at Kenowa Hills High School for a great weekend of basketball and family fun . . . . See you on the court!
Fire Up Grand Rapids! Gus Macker 3-on-3 Basketball and the Grand Rapids Drive have joined forces for a June 3, 4, & 5 Gus Macker Tournament on the campus of Kenowa Hills High School. That’s right, we are adding in events on Friday night so stay up to date and visit us on our GR Gus Macker facebook page. This is going to knock your socks off.
It’s a homecoming for Gus Macker, which this summer is celebrating 43 years since the McNeal brothers, Scott and Mitch, first organized a tournament of 18 players in their family driveway in Lowell. Grand Rapids was the location of the Gus Macker company headquarters for six years in the 1990s, and Macker tournaments have been played 24 times in the Grand Rapids area over the last 26 years, including 15 in the downtown streets and seven at Fifth Third Ballpark.
In addition, Gus Macker is familiar with developmental professional basketball as well. Macker owned the then Grand Rapids CBA franchise for two seasons (1994-95m ’95-’96).
The Drive, a franchise in the NBA Developmental League and an affiliate of the Detroit Pistons, is currently in their second full season in Grand Rapids playing games at the DeltaPlex Arena. This season alone has brought in NBA stars, Brandon Jennings, Andre Drummond, Reggie Jackson, Brandon Dawson, and Jimmer Fredette to Grand Rapids.
All of your local businesses and organizations have stepped up to make this tournament happen. A HUGE thank you to Farmers Insurance – Scott Jost Agency, Lake Michigan Credit Union, Meijer, Brann’s Restaurants, Andy J. Egan Co., American RV, Peppino’s Restaurants, and Fox Buick GMC. These businesses have stepped up as significant sponsorship partners to help bring Gus Macker back to GR and more importantly, stay in GR.
Lastly, please make sure you come out and hang with us during the tourney. We are raising funds for the Special Olympics of Michigan – Area 11. Reach into those pockets and help us raise as much money as possible for an awesome cause.
Fire up GR Macker Maniacs and hoops friends. Don’t miss the Macker Homecoming! Register now and see you at Kenowa Hills.